Apply for Nova Scotia Sales Tax (NSST) refund on tax paid by mistake on a vehicle purchase
Apply for a refund of Nova Scotia Sales Tax (NSST) you paid by mistake on the purchase of a vehicle like a car, truck or trailer.
Use the NSST Refund Application Form to get a refund on tax you paid by mistake on the purchase of a vehicle like a car, truck or trailer.
If you pay Nova Scotia Sales Tax (NSST) by mistake, you can apply for a refund. You might pay Nova Scotia Sales Tax by mistake if:
- a vehicle appraisal provides a lower value than the red book value assessed on the sale
- the sale is cancelled after you pay the tax
- your Indian status isn’t confirmed until after you pay the tax
You can apply for a refund if you paid Nova Scotia Sales Tax by mistake on these vehicles:
You can apply for a Nova Scotia Sales Tax refund if you bought a vehicle and paid Nova Scotia Sales Tax by mistake.
How to apply
- Complete the refund application.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Send your completed application and supporting documents by mail. Or visit the Vehicle Tax Unit.
How long it takes
It should take 3 to 6 weeks to get the refund. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply for a refund.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- copy of the receipt or invoice for the vehicle you bought, including total purchase price, name of seller and buyer, vehicle identification number (VIN), and the make, model and year of the vehicle
- copy of the Registry of Motor Vehicles receipt showing the Nova Scotia Sales Tax paid for the purchase of a car or truck
- receipt issued by Service Nova Scotia for the purchase of vehicles like trailers